Michael has a post worth another look. Good eye catching headline, and a REALLY important subject. He really does have a sharp and experienced eye about smoke detectors.
Some batches are even bad right out of the box, so can you imagine older ones!
Be Safe ~ Not Sorry...
When potential buyers look at a property, they are looking at the aesthetics not the functionality or safety features. When the untrained eye looks at the photo below, one sees a sees a cool looking stairwell, loft and a nice clean open space.
However, the trained eye of the home inspector sees something different.
1. Even though this is an older property, the balusters (spindles) on the guardrail and handrail exceed the current 4” spacing required for child safety.
2. The placement of the smoke alarms on both levels of the property are incorrect. Typically, they should be place within 12" of the ceiling.
Properly placed smoke alarms are vital for the safety of you and your family. In most states, properties that have been rehabbed need to be brought up to current standards of safety. These are some of the issues found with this property:
1. The alarms were not wired together – when one-alarm signals, all should signal.
2. The alarms were not installed in the bedrooms. Current safety standards require all smoke alarms to be placed in each bedroom and hallway of in each level of the property.
3. There was no function smoke alarm in the basement or the garage.
Did you know...
· Smoke alarms monitor the air 24 hours a day, every day. After 10 years, it's been on the job for over 87,000 hours. At this point in its life, it stands a 50/50 chance of failure. Do you want to trust your life to an aged device?. If you don’t know how old your alarm is, or if it is more than 10 years old, replace it.
· The battery back up in all alarms needs to be replaced annually.
· Smoke alarms need to be tested monthly.
· Vacuum the outside covers periodically to remove dust, dirt particles and insects.For all your inspection needs in the Brentwood, Franklin & Nashville TN real estate marketsCall us today:Complete Home Inspections, inc.The guys with the hats...615.661.0297Brentwood, TN
Scan the QR code below for business card info
Want a great REALTOR in Tucson?
Jon Quist, ABR, CRS, ePRO, GRI
REALTY EXECUTIVES TUCSON ELITE
Tucson's BUYERS ONLY Agent
6444E TANQUE VERDE ROAD
Tucson, AZ 85715
800-557-9798 Toll Free
Email : TucsonAgent@msn.com