Phil's post brings up a very valid point here. Utility companies of all types try to pull all sorts of stunts just like this. And I really mean all over the country.
Be very careful with your dealings with the various entities out there. Don't give these "Public Utilities" a foothold on anything.
They have big bucks behind them and usually staff attorneys to intimidate the small real estate company associates.
I have a listing that recently expired. A deal fell apart on it and my client lives out of state. That's all I can tell you. Apparently, Central Hudson Gas and Electric can't reach him, so they harass me. They want me to let them in the house so they can cut the power.
One problem: I'm not authorized to do that. Do I have a key? Yes. Am I allowed in the house? Probably still to show a possible buyer. Can I let a creditor of my client in? No. No, I can't do that.
So here's the message the utility left for me in my office:
Phil, Sabrina from Central Hudson Gas and Electric called regarding XX XXXX. She said you spoke last month about getting in to lock the gas meter. If access is not given they will transfer the bill to your business name.
Now that's chutzpah. Transfer the debt to the broker. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think they get to do that. Sabrina and I are going to have a little conversation Monday, and if I don't set Central Hudson straight, my attorney will. I am about as liable for my client's gas bill as his dentist.
- We Are Westchester County & Hudson Valley NY Real Estate. Reach Phil at (914) 723-8900.
- J. Philip Faranda, Broker-owner, J. Philip Real Estate, LLC. Vice President, Empire Access Multiple Listing Service.
- I am one of New York's premier short sale REALTORS, serving Westchester & the Hudson Valley.
- J. Philip Serves Briarcliff Manor, Ossining, Croton, the River Towns, Westchester County, and the bedroom counties of New York City.
- Free MLS Search! Register for a Free Listingbook account and search the MLS like an agent.
- I am hiring agents. We offer outstanding support, marketing resources, and pasta.All content/images, unless noted, are the property of J. Philip Faranda & may not be used without permission
Want a great REALTOR in Tucson?
Jon Quist, ABR, CRS, ePRO, GRI
REALTY EXECUTIVES TUCSON ELITE
Tucson's BUYERS ONLY Agent
6444E TANQUE VERDE ROAD
Tucson, AZ 85715
800-557-9798 Toll Free
Email : TucsonAgent@msn.com